Posted: January 24th, 2023
After reading Chapter 3 in the text and the articles under this unit’s Supporting Lesson Links (“ICD 10 Conversion: Do or Die” by McGee and “A Look Back on the ICD-10 Transition” by Bowman), prepare a written assignment based on the following:
A huge challenge facing healthcare providers is the October 2015 deadline for transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10 – expanding medical diagnosis codes from the current 14,000 to more than 67,000 codes and expanding procedure codes from 13,000 to 85,000. This huge change involves not only the medical coding profession but almost every aspect of the healthcare provider’s world. In addition to IT professionals who’ll deal with the hardware and software platforms, coding, billing, quality measurement, administrative and patient care processes will all be affected.
Experts suggest that “much of the work will be process-oriented rather than technology oriented”. (McGee, 2012). Many areas of the hospital and many different professionals will need to work together to make sure the ICD-10 implementation happens by October 2015. (If it doesn’t, your hospital will not be able to bill for its services!).
For this assignment, you will take the role of project manager for ICD-10 conversion for Herzing Hospital, a small community medical center. You are not a Health Information Technology professional; your training and expertise are in quality management and teamwork. Your role is to create and manage a team of your fellow employees who will plan for the ICD-10 conversion.
· Introduction: why is this teamwork important for a project of this size and scope?
· Body: Create a plan Performance Improvement Team by answering the following questions:
· What type of team will you use, and why?
· How will you select the team members, what process will you follow?
· Create a Performance Improvement Team Charter for your team. (you can follow the format in Example 3.1, or create your own)
· Conclusion: Summarize the importance of process-management for this project, and how your expertise in teamwork will contribute to the quality of the project.
· Your paper should be a minimum of three pages (excluding cover and reference pages), written in APA style with Introduction, Body, and Conclusion.
· Use in-text citations where appropriate. Your references should include at least one outside resource in addition to the textbook and the McGee and Bowman articles.
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.