Posted: January 24th, 2023
How does the point of view play a role in the personal narratives of those in the video? Could their stories have been told as effectively from a third-person perspective? Defend your position.
HU140 Cultural Diversity Unit 3 Template
Communication: The Journey of Message
We have all had moments where communication meant the difference between resolving an issue and creating one. Describe an event or incident where being an active listener allowed you to calm a situation. Here are some questions to consider:
· What ways did dialogue contribute to diffusing the situation?
· Did you or the other people involved demonstrate body language cues that signaled the situation was escalating or diminishing?
· How did the situation resolve?
· If you could revisit that situation now, what would you change?
to share your story!
Effective Communication in Art
Click on the picture icon to the right and insert images of art (any visual representation) that communicates new understanding of diversity issues. This can be anything from a multi-racial family to the physically active elderly sky diving or water skiing (defying the stereotypes on aging). Click on the word “Text” and describe the message being communicated and explain why some people might miss or ignore this message. If necessary, reference the image on the References page.
Listening to the Voiceless
Go to this
and view three or more interviews with the homeless that are not from your race/ethnicity/gender group. Select one that you feel created the most effective message to help yourself and others understand the unique issues facing the homeless population. Once you select your video, click on ‘share,’ then click on ’embed,’ and finally click on ‘copy’ found at the lower right.
Next, click inside the textbox below, then click on the “Insert” menu and select “Online Video” from the menu. Select the option where you ‘paste’ the embed code. If necessary, reference the video on the References page.
Address the following questions:
1. What feelings or emotions did the video draw out in you? What made you connect to the person being interviewed?
2. What stereotypes did you find yourself falling into initially?
3. How might this video or others like it bring an end to othering of the homeless?
Literature and Identity Power
Literature has been used over the centuries in assimilating cultures and establishing cultures, but in more modern times it has become an effective tool to bring ‘voice’ to the marginalized and underrepresented. One example is Amy Tan, an Asian American writer of the novel, The Joy Luck Club, and many others. Her essays often focus on Identity Power in ways that are inclusive to all groups which is one reason her work has been so effective. Click on
and read her essay “Mother Tongue.” In the textbox below address the following questions:
1. How does the essay bring a new perspective to the idea of language?
2. In what ways could you directly relate to her explanation of ‘many Englishes?’
3. How does Amy Tan expose the need for effective listening?
Now that you have had the opportunity to learn more about the importance of listening as a first step in effective communication among all groups, please address the following to complete your Unit 3 template.
1. The headlines are filled with injustices each and every day, and it seems nothing is being done to combat the negative communication in modern society. Think of an issue that directly impacts your immediate community and create a short dialogue to put communication within that community on a positive track.
2. Take a few moments to imagine you were one of the ‘Invisible People’ being interviewed. What would your message be to the audience? How might you say to help bring about an effective dialogue that begins the process of restoring the dignity of those who are financially disabled?
Reference your video or any other sources used here.
Are you listening? Am I listening?
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.