Your essay should be at least 1 ½ pages in length. Please keep your heading information at the TOP of the first page. Font should be Times New Roman, 12 point with unadjusted margins. If you use a source other than the one provided or class notes, you must make a Works Cited Page giving your citation information.
The Law Code of Hammurabi. Written around 1750 BC (selected laws)
- If a man lies in court in a case involving a death sentence, that man shall be put to death.
- If a man lies in court in exchange for a bribe of grain or money, he shall himself bear the penalty imposed in that case.
- If a man breaks a hole in a house, they shall put him to death in front of that hole and they shall thrust him into the hole.
- If a fire breaks out in a man’s house and another man goes to extinguish the fire and steals, that man shall be thrown into that fire.
- If a man divorces a wife who has not borne him children, he shall give her back the money in her marriage settlement.
- If a son strikes his father, they shall cut off his fingers.
- If a man destroys the eye of another man, his eye shall be destroyed.
- If one man breaks another man’s bone, they shall break his bone.
- If a man knocks out a tooth of a man of his own rank, they shall knock out his tooth.
- If a man strikes a man who is his superior, he shall receive 60 strokes with an oxtail in public.
- If a builder builds a house for another man and the house collapses and kills the owner, that builder shall be put to death.
Option 2 Essay Questions: In your essay spend time answering all of these questions.
- Why is the Law Code of Hammurabi so important?
- What is the main premise for this law code?
- What one thing stood out to you most in this document?
- Who was Hammurabi and what culture did he live in? Give some details about that culture.
HIST101-02 January 28
Firefox on your operating system does not currently support the video format used in this recording. Please try a different browser, such as Safari or Chrome.
Read chat messages