Discussion: Global Threats
Nuclear war! Terrorism! Hunger epidemics! Disease epidemics, including AIDS!
These are examples of the complex minefield of threats faced by the nations of the world. Impacts were felt on environmental, political, military, and economic levels. Alliances were hard-won and easily forgotten as the world braced itself for the dawn of a new century. As alliances changed, so did the threats that went hand-in-hand with those international relationships. Decades later, the world continues to feel the effects of this era.
In this Discussion, you will evaluate threats faced by the world and their lasting effects today.
To prepare for this Discussion:
· Review the Gilbert, Moss, and Martinez readings as well as all articles from this week’s Learning Resources.
· Reflect upon the types of threats that people faced in the 20th century.
· Call to mind the groups and/or nations that pose physical threats to others. How were they a threat? Why?
· Draw from this week’s readings and reflect upon the unlikely alliances that were created and if they were formed under duress or necessity.
· Consider the correlation between threats to certain nations and international relationships. What is the connection between threats and relationships in the local communities?
· Think about how the world is still feeling the effects of the threats of this era.