Requirements & Preparing the Paper
- This assignment will be graded on quality of information, use of citations, use of Standard English grammar, sentence structure, and overall organization based on the required components as summarized in the directions and grading rubric.
- Create your paper using Microsoft Word, which is the required format for all Chamberlain documents.
- Complete the Self-Assessment Exercise by responding to the following questions:
In your family, what were the implicit and explicit messages communicated about your cultural heritage?
How were ethnic traits and characteristics among the family expressed or demonstrated? Were any suppressed, concealed or disapproved of?
Who in your family, and what kind of family experience, influenced your sense of ethnic identity?
Where did you grow up and what other ethnic groups resided there?
What was the first experience of feeling ethnically different? (“white” or person of “color”). What are your earliest images of color?
How did your family see itself as similar to or different from other ethnic groups?
Write about your own process of cultural identity development following the stages discussed this week.
What values or characteristics of your ethnic group do you like the most / and which do you like the least? What are your feelings about being “white” or a person of “color”?
How have you experienced a sense of power or lack of power in relation to your family, ethnic identity, racial identity, class identity or future professional identity?
How do you think your cultural identity might affect your future professional practice with other ethnic minorities?
- Interview Ethnic Minority Health Professional, asking the following questions:
What were important social, cultural, familiar and political issues that influenced your personal decision to become a Health professional?
What barriers did you encounter as an ethnic minority professional due to racial, cultural, social, political, class or gender issues?
How did you overcome these barriers in pursuing your profession?
Are you satisfied with your profession? What do you like most and least about your work as a Health professional?
What are some of the racial and cultural issues that arise in your work with interaction with your own ethnic group – and with other ethnic groups?
What would you say are some of the racial and cultural issues to be aware of in working with someone from a different cultural group?
What does it mean to you that a health professional is culturally competent in his/her work?
Do you feel you are culturally competent to work with diverse people you encounter? Why? Why not?
What advice would you give another ethnic minority individual who wants to pursue the health profession?
- Complete the Cultural Reflection Action Paper. Please refer to the Grading Rubric for this assignment to see what information needs to be included in your paper. Your paper must include information obtained from both the Ethnic Minority Health Professional interview and your Self Assessment.
Description of the importance of cultural competency and humility among public health workforce.
Description of how cultural factors may affect health and healthcare
Description of how you would incorporate cultural competence and humility in a teaching plan working with a specific ethnic population.
Description of what you learned in your Health Professional interview, and about yourself as a learner and how you plan to continue your learning and growth about cultural competence and humility.
Description of how you can integrate what you learned about cultural competence and humility when working with populations.
Your paper should be at least five pages long, not including the title page and reference page.