WK5 Assignment: Share the Music
Watch two videos featuring the performance of a twentieth century music composition. Your choices must be from the twentieth or twenty-first century classical tradition, such as solo, orchestral or chamber music performances, not pop, rock, or jazz. Please note that this assignment is not a 20th or 21st century performance of music from the Classical era – students should watch videos of music that was composed in the twentieth or twenty-first century. The music chosen for this assignment needs to have been written in the twentieth or twenty-first century, so it is important to not choose music that was composed before the twentieth century. You can either choose two compositions written by the same composer or a composition from two different twentieth or twenty-first century composers. If you are not sure if your choices fit the requirements, be sure to ask in the Questions thread or by sending a personal message to your instructor. The following is a list of possible choices for composers for this assignment. You are not required to choose a composer from this list as long as your choices are composers from the twentieth or twenty-first century.
Harry T. Burleigh
William Grant Still
Ralph Vaughan Williams
Henry Balfour Gardiner
Manuel de Falla
Augusta Read Thomas
Dorothy Rudd Moore
Ruth Crawford Seeger (Ruth Porter Crawford)
For each of the two videos, discuss how each composition reflects the six basics of melody, harmony, texture, rhythm, timbre, and form. You can refer to “Tools” in the course text for detailed information about each of these musical terms. Please also address how the composer’s music reflects the culture and/or time period in which he or she lived. This aspect of the assignment should include information from academic sources about the musical style of your chosen composer/s that is cited. The videos should be cited in the body of the text and in a reference page.
There is no specific word count requirement for this assignment – just be sure you are addressing all of the required elements. This paper should be written in paragraph form using complete sentences with a clear introduction and conclusion. In addition to these elements, please be sure to fulfill the Requirements for Writing Assignments (see below), including citing all sources (including the performances) both in the body of the text and in a reference page. Please note that MLA is the standard citation style in the humanities. Here are some good sources of information for Evaluating Online Resources, Citing Sources, and Writing & Grammar Resources. Papers will be evaluated according to the following Short Paper grading iRubric. Please review and utilize this grading rubric in order to maximize points earned on this assignment.
This assignment is due by Sunday of Week 5 at 11:55pm (Eastern time). Please note that late submissions will be automatically downgraded.
Double check that your attachment is in .doc, .docx or .rtf format as explained in Requirements for Written Assignments (see above link).
DISCLAIMER: Originality of attachments will be verified by Turnitin. Both you and your instructor will receive the results.
I am looking forward to reading your analysis of twentieth century compositions. Let me know if you have any questions about this assignment.
REQUIREMENTS FOR WRITING ASSIGNMENTS
MUSI200 – APUS
– Content applies to subject matter.
– Demonstrates knowledge and comprehension of major issues and concepts.
– Content reflects the use of analysis, synthesis, and comparison.
– Major points are stated clearly and are developed and supported by specific details, examples, research, or analysis supported by information from scholarly sources.
– Response has an organized and logical structure with an introduction and conclusion.
– Smooth sentence and paragraph transitions.
– Sentences are complete, clear, and concise.
– Response follows standard rules of grammar, usage, punctuation, and spelling.
– Any material referenced is properly cited with both in-text citations and references formatted in MLA style. Here is an excellent website for citing in MLA: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/2/11/
– For papers submitted as attachments, formatting should be double-spaced with margins no more than 1 inch. Please use 10 or 12 pt. fonts.
– Papers submitted as attachments must be .doc, .docx or .rtf files. File formats can be changed by going to the “File” drop-down menu and clicking on “Save As.” Please note that papers submitted in any other format will not be accepted or graded. Papers must be submitted in the proper format to be considered on time.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more