OPS 571 Week 1 Quiz (Perfect Answer)
OPS 571 Week 1 Quiz (Perfect Answer)
1. Poka-yoke is a Japanese term for a procedure that blocks an inevitable mistake from becoming what?
An unidentifiable waste
A service defect
A new process design flaw
A reason for overproduction
2. For which key organizational functions are tasks and responsibilities identified for all the steps of the generic product development process?
marketing, operations, training, development
marketing, design, manufacturing, other
strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats
operations, quality, personnel, finance
3. A service process design flowchart is referred to as a service blueprint to emphasize what?
The importance of process design
The impact of customer service
The impact of blueprints
The importance of system engineering
4. Even though they use different models, both the Ritz Carlton Hotel Group and Nordstrom Department Stores are known for what?
The personal attention they provide their customers
A self-service approach to customer service
Customer facing employees who only talk to rich customers
Poor customer service
5. According to the Service System Design Matrix, sales opportunity has what sort of relationship to production efficiency?
6. Which of the following is a good example of a continuous process layout?
A sit down restaurant
An automobile manufacturing plant
A home construction site
A gas refinery
7. If an automotive service center has an issue with a car not being clean when returned to a customer, the pokayoke corrective action might include what?
Leaving the plastic on the seat when returning the car to the customer.
Leaving it up to the service tech who took care of the repair to determine if the car is clean
An inspection by the person returning the car before the car is seen by the customer.
Letting the customer make this determination
8. Why is the planning phase often referred to as Phase 0 (Zero) of the generic product development process?
This phase is not necessary.
This phase is not completed until after the project has been funded.
This phase happens before the project is approved.
This phase requires $0 to complete.
9. Using a project layout for building an aircraft, why would you want to place rivets close to or even in the fuselage?
Rivets are small and you don’t want to lose them
Rivets should actually be placed farthest away from the fuselage.
Rivets are used consistently throughout the construction process
Rivets are used one time only in the construction process
10. Why do many customers like the self-service approach to service design?
It provides the customer with the greatest amount of personal service.
It puts the customer in control
The customer is always right in this type of system.
It gives the customer more opportunity to steal from a company
11. What happens to production efficiency as the customer exerts more influence on the system?
Production efficiency is decreased
Production efficiency is increased
There is no effect on production efficiency
Production efficiency is eliminated
12. Permeable systems are characterized by being penetrable by customers via what two forms of contact?
Phone and face to face contact
Face to face and internet contact
Internet and mail contact
Internet and phone contact
13. What is a company trying to optimize in the most common approach to developing a work center layout?
Movement of material
Number of defects
Amount of required staff
Work shift hours
14. Some may argue that the production line approach may not treat the process as a service process, but as what type of process?
A marketing approach
A quality approach
An operational approach
A manufacturing approach
15. Why would a company want to supply a product to preferred customers during product ramp up?
Test the shipping process
Identify any remaining flaws
Get choice shelf positioning
Help develop a marketing plan